Books, articles, sermons and blogs
online, based on the Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg
Appendix IV. The Stones of the Breastplate
The Tabernacle of Israel, by George de Charms, 1969
ROW I. The celestial love of good.
1. Ruby -- The truth of celestial good, which is the good of the highest heaven.
2. Topaz -- The derivation of the word is uncertain, and the exact stone referred to is unknown. Its signification is derived from its color, which here is red. There is a red topaz. The good of celestial love. Being in the middle, this stone has the significance of this row par excellence.
3. Carbuncle -- Derived from a word which means flashing as from fire. Resplendence from good.
ROW II. The celestial love of truth.
1. Chrysoprase -- Translated emerald. Original word is ( ). The derivation of the word is unknown, and the kind of stone referred to is uncertain. It was, at any rate, of a blue color, and represented the celestial love of truth.
2. Sapphire -- Divine truth translucent in the ultimate of order. Translucence from the truths of celestial love. The external of the celestial kingdom. It has the representation of this row par excellence.
3. Diamond -- Truth of celestial love. Translucent from an internal blueness. "The reception of life in the highest degree may be compared to the influx of light into a diamond." T.C.R. 34e.
ROW III. The spiritual love of good.
1. Cyamis -- Called a ligure in the Word Explained. Also translated opal and jacinth. The original word is ( ), of unknown derivation. Cyanite is a semi-precious stone of a blue or a green color. Ligure and jacinth are supposed to be two names for the same stone, which is of a hyacinthine color, or a dark purple. It seems probable, and is in accord with the majority opinion of authorities, that the opal was the stone referred to. Blue from white. The spiritual love of good.
2. Agate or turquoise -- What stone is meant is not known. It was of a color blue from white. Spiritual love of good.
3. Amethyst -- Said to be a blue stone. Spiritual love of good.
ROW IV. The spiritual love of truth.
1. Tarshish, chrysolite, thalassius -- Translated beryl. Truth from spiritual good and power thence. Shining white from blue.
2. Shoham, sardonyx, and sardius -- the onyx stone. The truths of faith from love.
3. Jasper -- The truth of faith and the derivative intelligence. All things of doctrine from the Word in order, and translucent from the internal sense.